How are you?
Note: I don’t state I’m a master of beauty-blogging photography. I don’t have an intention to offend anyone or anyone’s tastes. Every blogger is free to do whatever they want with their blogs.
So.. Photography and beauty blogging.
Did you notice what I did with this photo?:D Right, it’s not informative but I wanted to emphasize my point:)
I’d like to talk with you about bloggers who pay attention to photos in their blogs, who takes time to make their photos attractive.
Did you ever notice alike blogs with the same style and photos which look the same?
1. Too many overexposed photos. Why? Yes, it may look nice sometimes when photo is a little overexposed. Let it be just beautiful if a particular photo doesn’t contain any information for readers. But if you are showing make-up products and you even open packaging why to overexpose it? Sometimes I can’t even see shade of lipstick/blush/nail polish/etc. And there is no more informative photos in the post. If there is no swatches but lipstick looks interesting to me I will search for it. If I can’t even guess a shade I will just scroll and forget about that post. I won’t even read the name of shades. May be it’s just me. But I’d need to search for each shade to find some interesting one. I can do that without reading a blog.
2. Overexposed photos, big distance till objects. The same as previous. I saw a lot of photo like that in posts “my favorite lipsticks”, “lipsticks for spring/autumn/summer”, “must-have nudes”,etc. Photo are not only overexposed but makeup or skincare products are so far I can’t see shades. I can’t even read names of skincare products or recognize brand of makeup items. Yes, it can be few beautiful photos..just for visual pleasure but if you want to give some information with this photos don’t you want to give some information actually?
3. White background. Yes, I like it. Yes, I saw lots of beautiful photos in beauty-blogs on white background. But why almost every blogger does the same? Because such background is clear, clean and easy to look at? Because all attention attracted to product? Or because other bloggers do that? I don’t mind it unless you don’t try to copy other blogs photography. I can find few photos of makeup items on white background and you will be able to understand that they were taken by different people with different style. But at the same time I can find 1000+ photos which look like one blogger took them even if all photos are from different people.
4. Overexposed photos and some blurry-foggy effects. If to add big distance till products this photos are just killing all interest. They make me feel like I have some problem with my eyes. Did you ever experience the same?
5. Too much processing of photos with make-up swatches. If you edit photo to make swatch look like in reality, you are doing good job. Otherwise, no. Too overexposed /underexposed, too high contrast, changing temperature, etc. And suddenly mauvie lipstick looks almost like vibrant fuchsia. If it’s not a photo for a photo but you want to show a shade why to do that?
I’d like you to leave your opinion in the comments. 🙂
Have a nice day!:)